Gun Safety Rules
ALWAYS keep your firearms pointed in a safe direction
ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
ALWAYS keep your weapon unloaded until ready to use
SSSA Range Safety Brief – Orientation presentation PDF
Hot Range/Cold Range
- Stop shooting and unload your weapon. Holster, encase, or place it on the shooting table.
- Revolvers with the cylinder open in the up position, muzzle pointed down range.
- Semi-autos will have the magazine out, slide locked to the rear, ejection port up, and muzzle pointed down range.
- Each shooter acknowledges the range is “Cold” and step away from the firing line or shooting tables until
the range is declared “Hot”
- Each shooter acknowledges the range is “Hot”
- Everyone is in a safe position with eyes and ears protected then weapons may be handled and firing can begin.
Firearms Safety from NSSF
Stop the Bleed Booklet
This PDF file contains the primary information covered in the Trauma First Aid class. It comes from the BleedingControl.org web site. All shooters should be familiar with the information presented and how to use the Range trauma kit.